Eastman becomes the only chemical company to earn award for the second time
KINGSPORT, Tenn., March 5, 2013 – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recognized Eastman Chemical Company (NYSE:EMN) as a 2013 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for strategically managing and improving energy efficiency during 2012. Through its partnership with the ENERGY STAR program, Eastman has improved its energy performance, saved money and helped to protect the environment for future generations.Eastman is the only chemical company to have the distinction of being named ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year more than once. In choosing Eastman for the award, the EPA recognized the company for continuing to build upon its sound energy management foundation.“Recognition as ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for the second consecutive year is truly an honor,” said Jim Rogers, chairman and chief executive officer of Eastman. “Energy efficiency is one of the global macro trends challenging the world and Eastman is addressing this challenge through sustainable solutions that include our own emissions reductions and energy efficiency efforts, as well as the development of products that enable consumers to reduce emissions. We are proud of Eastman’s partnership with ENERGY STAR and our energy management achievements.” The ENERGY STAR program provides a proven energy management strategy that has helped Eastman achieve important reductions in energy use and greenhouse gas emissions. Key accomplishments of Eastman’s award winning energy management program include:
- Improvement in energy intensity by 2.5 percent in 2012 and 7 percent since 2008
- Energy savings in 2012 equal to $8 million and 340 million pounds of greenhouse gas emissions (equal to emissions from 28,000 cars)
- Receipt of American Chemistry Council (ACC) energy efficiency awards for seven projects saving over 483,000 MM BTUs and 40,000 tons of greenhouse emissions annually
- ACC recognition of Eastman’s Energy Program with an Exceptional Merit Award
- Identification of over $7 million in savings opportunities since 2010 using an energy assessment process
- Creation of a corporate - wide best practices program focused on steam leak repair, which along with an investment of over $2 million for repairs, resulted in an excellent average payback period of six months
- Placement in the top 5 of the Business sector for the ENERGY STAR® pledge driver campaign ending on Earth Day 2012 with pledges totaling more than 16 million pounds of greenhouse gas emissions savings
- Expansion of the Corporate Energy Team from 10 to 16 manufacturing sites as a result of acquiring Solutia Inc.
- Increased employee and public awareness of ENERGY STAR and the importance of energy efficiency through a company energy fair, participation in EPA’s Battle of the Buildings, and involvement of the corporate headquarters’ city mayor in declaring ENERGY STAR day, and other outreach efforts
Sharon Nolen, manager of Eastman’s corporate energy program, added, “Receipt of this award for a second year reaffirms the ongoing efforts of many to improve and grow our energy program. The bar is raised higher year after year, so it is rewarding to see that ENERGY STAR recognizes Eastman’s continued commitment to and results from improved energy management. We value our partnership with ENERGY STAR, benefitting from both the resources they offer and the opportunity to collaborate with other ENERGY STAR Partners.”
“Superior energy management is our most cost-effective climate strategy and Eastman continues to exemplify leadership in this category,” said Bob Perciasepe, Acting Administrator, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. EPA’s annual ENERGY STAR Awards honor organizations that have made outstanding contributions to protecting the environment through superior energy efficiency. The award winners are selected from nearly 20,000 partners that participate in the ENERGY STAR program and will be recognized at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., on March 26, 2013. Over the last 20 years, with help from ENERGY STAR, American families and businesses have saved more than $230 billion on utility bills and prevented more than 1.8 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.
About Eastman Chemical Company
Eastman is a global specialty chemical company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With a portfolio of specialty businesses, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. Its market-driven approaches take advantage of world-class technology platforms and leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. Eastman focuses on creating consistent, superior value for all stakeholders. As a globally diverse company, Eastman serves customers in approximately 100 countries and had 2012 pro forma combined revenues, giving effect to the Solutia acquisition, of approximately $9.1 billion. The company is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA and employs approximately 13,500 people around the world. For more information, visit www.eastman.com.